Leadership and Citizenship Week 2016
The theme for 2016’s Citizenship Week was the Battle of the Somme.
The Battle of the Somme, fought in northern France, was one of the bloodiest of World War One.
- 2016 marked the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.
- On Friday 15th July 2016, Citizenship Day enabled students to explore the causes, events and consequences of the battle through a range of different projects including role plays, debates and real life case studies.
- Guest speakers – including Historians – supported the activity through presentations to students.
- Year 7 performed a role play acting out ‘life in the trenches’ and produced paper-mache helmets.
- Year 8 produced diary extracts and gave testimonials during a mock trial of the generals.
- Year 9 took part in a mock court case – did the end justify the means?